facebook Honeymooning in your Married Name

Honeymooning in your Married Name

Guide to travelling in your new name with a Post Dated Passport


If you are dreaming of jetting off to sandy shores with your sparkling new ring, spouse and matching passport this guide will tell you how to make your dreams come true.

But please consider whether having matching passports straight away is really that important to you because, trust us when we say, it’s not an easy thing to do!

What makes this particular name change more difficult? This is quite possibly one of the more ambitious feats to pull off when it comes to wedding planning, not least of all due to a backdrop of the following obstacles:

You need 3 key things to align (and nerves of steel) if this is going to work:


The most crucial element you need on your side is time.

It is possible to apply for what is known as a “Post Dated Passport’ to be issued ahead of the big day, using a PD2 form (which is signed by your wedding registrar or church) so that you can travel on honeymoon in your new married name - but there are a number of key caveats and risks to consider.

We would only recommend this if your circumstances match all of the following scenarios:

Weigh up how important this is and whether it’s worth navigating through additional stress and uncertainty.

As of May 2021, couples are no longer handed their Marriage Certificate on the day of the wedding. Instead, Marriage Certificates will only be sent out once your marriage has been registered on an electronic register. For registry office weddings your certificates can be posted about a week after your wedding, but for other venues it can take up to 3 weeks before they can be ordered online.

This won’t affect the validity of your new passport but you may come unstuck if you need to show vaccination records such as a covid pass. Without your marriage certificate, you won’t be able to change your NHS record, which will need to match the name on your new passport should evidence of covid vaccination be needed at border control in either your destination country/s or the UK.

Short on time? The safest option is of course to opt to travel in your maiden name and switch names on your passport when you return.
If you’re adamant that you want to change immediately then you can consider paying a little extra for the 1-week Fast Track service. However, this is high risk as your travel documents must match your passport name at all points of your journey, not just immigration on both sides, but also at your accommodation.

Be aware that:

Adamant that you want to jet off straight after you marry, in your new name? Given the complexities associated with the delivery of your marriage certificate the other option is to change your name via deed poll. Sequence is key, you’ll need to obtain your deed poll and new passport before you marry and crucially after you have given notice so that your birth name will still be included on your marriage certificate.


Honeymooners often travel to far and fabulous destinations - after all this is the trip of a lifetime to celebrate your nuptials! The critical question to ask (after you peel yourself from Pinterest) is this: Do I need a visa?

Combining a visa with a post-dated passport isn’t necessarily impossible, but you should research this thoroughly and approach with considered caution.

This is where travel agencies become incredibly helpful – not only for advice, but if you are planning a multi-destination holiday they will help guide you through what is and isn’t possible. We spoke to travel expert Steve Finch of Travel Counsellors who offers the following advice:

‘As well as your final destination(s) beware of transiting or layover rules that apply with regards to visas. A well-seasoned travel agent will be au fait with the nuances of each country and able to support you through all elements of your travel.

For the USA, use extreme care when applying for the mandatory ESTA online, otherwise you may end up needing to approach the US embassy to obtain your visa. If you tick the box saying you have a criminal record for example your ESTA application will be denied. Be wary, for example, if you have a speeding ticket this is not classed as a criminal record’

Here are some guiding principles to help you with your research:

Thankfully ESTA’s are very straightforward to obtain and can be applied for online in about 10 minutes.


The last key is practicality. You can use the checklist below to help decide what’s practical in your situation.


  1. COST: Even if you have years left on your current passport you will still be charged for a new one £82.50 to apply for a 10-year passport (more if you use Check and Send or Fast Track services).
  2. YOU CAN’T TRAVEL You’ll need to surrender your passport at the time of submitting your application. If you’re planning to travel for a hen-do weekend or you travel with work you’ll need to rethink things. Your new passport, even if it arrives weeks ahead of the big day can’t be used until after the ceremony.
  3. COLD FEET: If the marriage doesn’t go ahead for any reason you will need to return the new passport to HM Passport office and re-apply for a new passport in your original name.


  1. If you are planning on getting married abroad you will be unable to apply for a post-dated passport as you will need to begin and end your trip abroad with a passport in your original name.
  2. You can’t apply for a post-dated passport if your name change isn’t a traditional surname/double-barrel surname change: for example, if you are planning to create a brand new team name or make a maiden name a middle name (which would require a deed poll and not a PD2).


Assuming the trilogy of Time, Location and Practicality are favourably aligned, read on to understand how to acquire a Post-Dated passport:

You can apply to change your name on your passport up to 3 months before the ceremony. Your old passport will then be cancelled.

The new passport is ‘post-dated’ which means it is valid from the date of your ceremony and you can’t use it before the ceremony. Some countries won’t issue visas for post-dated passports so do check with the country’s consulate.

To renew your passport you can either:

You will need to send a ‘Post-Date Form 2’ (PD2) along with your application - The minister or registrar who will conduct the ceremony must sign this, as must you with your current name and signature.

You can download a copy of the PD2 form here. For further guidance, please call the passport advice line on 0330 222 0000

It costs £82.50 to renew or replace your passport online, or £93.00 via the paper form. There is an additional fee payable of £9.50 if you use the Post Office’s Passport Check and Send service, available at larger post office branches.

For further guidance on how to complete a Passport Renewal Application to accompany your PD2, please check out our comprehensive guide.

The Passport Office recommend visiting their dedicated travel advice pages. These are updated hourly and are free to use.

Once you have changed your name on your passport who else do you need to notify? Most name changers contact 24 different government bodies, local authorities, and companies. This take 14 hours on average.

How can NameSwitch help?

The average name changer notifies approximately 24 different government bodies, local authorities, and companies. Figuring out who needs what can be daunting and takes 14 hours on average! Most name changers find this process tedious and overly complicated.

NameSwitch has created a UK first and only award-winning namechange toolkit to help simplify this process. Change your name with speed and ease saving you so much time and with peace of mind that you’ll get it right first time.

In just 3 easy steps you can select who you need to notify from 700 government bodies, local authorities, and companies. You only need to enter your details once. You’ll have instant access to download your pre-populated name change letters, forms and personalised instructions ready for you to print and sign.

Need our expert advice? Why not check out our FAQs or Get in touch with our UK-based support team for a human response - we are here to help.

Check out our Packages

Looking for our guides?

Dive into our practical Nameswitch guides.

Learn how to change your name on your drivers licence, on your Facebook account and how to handle updating your COVID pass along with your passport


Fancy a free name-change checklist?

Get your free name-change checklist to help you plan out all of the companies, government bodies and profiles you need to notify of your new name.